Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Services are a rip off!!!

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 16th January 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Im a dab hand at DIY servicing and none of the cars that I've owned in the past 20 years have ever been anywhere near a garage. Ok, so the downside is that the book doesnt get stamped. So what? At least I know the job has been done properly and I also know that the best oil has been used, unlike some garages putting in cheap grade oil only because they know that your stupid enough to come back and get it changed again10k miles later! I keep all the receipts and never have any trouble selling a car which I've serviced myself. Oh, and I've never had a breakdown (touch wood)
I only have a driveway and a garage (which I cant even get the car into) but with a few tools I can do anything up to a top end overhaul including valve grinding, brakes, etc and I cant even begin to calculate what I've saved on garage bills!

By the way, I'm not a mechanic. I'm a electronics engineer and what I know about cars is completely self-taught. If there is something I dont know about I take the trouble to get expert advice and tackle the job myself. I even repaired a Clio with a broken cam belt for a freind and he quite happily paid me 300 after he was quoted 725 to replace a few bent valves.
Moreover I actually enjoy the work unless its dark/raining but my idea of a relaxing weekend is getting stuck into car maintenance.
Currently in Bernard's garage:
V reg Laguna 2.0 16v RXE and very nice too!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome