Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio handbrake jammed on.

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 18th December 2013
Platinum member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 3 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Re: Clio handbrake jammed on.

The handbrake seizing on normally happens when the car is left standing with the handbrake engaged for a length of time, it can seize on overnight in damp wintery conditions. As mentioned moving the car backwards in reverse normally jumps the brakes off.

It's advisable not to leave the car parked up for any long period of time with the handbrake applied.

Personally I never park my car up with the handbrake applied, I park the car and then engage 1st or reverse gear and turn the wheels slightly towards the kerb. (You should leave the car in gear with wheels turned towards the kerb when parked as a matter of course, just in case the handbrake were to fail whilst parked!)

The cause of a seized handbrake can be lots of things, failing handbrake cables, corrosion on the back plate where the shoes contact it, weak / broken or missing springs.

If stripping the brakes clean up the back plate paying attention to the areas where the shoes make contact and put a smear of anti seize paste on the contact areas to stop corrosion.

Check the handbrake cables are free and can be pulled to the off position easily without a lot of resistance.

If the return springs are old and rusty they have probably lost their "springyness" and should be replaced. Brake fitting kits containing all the replacement springs are available from a lot of motor factor outlets these days.

Please take the time to enter your vehicle details in the "What's current in your garage?" box.

To do this:
Hover over the "TOOLS" tab at the top of the page
> then in the dropdown click on "User Dashboard"
> click on "Edit Your Details" at the top Left hand side.
> scroll down to the "What's current in your garage?" box and enter your vehicle details.
> Once the details are entered scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes"

> Done.
Currently in TTT's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Dynamique Sport Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome