Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rattling / Grinding noise from engine and brake failure

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 19th December 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Rattling / Grinding noise from engine and brake failure

hi... to cut a long story short, i just bought a Renault Trafic 1.9 dci 2006 less than a month. i did a round trip from london to colchester, got back homes safe no apparent issue with braking or engine noise. after a quick nap at home, i decided to replace my air filter and pollen filter. during the process of unscrewing the air filter casing, i dropped a little screw (less than 3cm long)on the engine block next to the first injector head (from left) .... i fiddled around to retrieve it but no chance... i managed to replace the air filter.... then!

Started the engine... very loud rattling noise under engine! i thought the screw must have got stuck somewhere or the bottom engine tray hence the noise. stupidly, i took the van out for a short drive (engine still rattling away)... no engine speed maybe 20mph at most. suddenly i stepped on the brake! the brake pedal was so stiff that i have to press down very hard for a very faint grip- (hand brake was applied quickly).

my mobile mechanic came down same night, he managed to pick out the screw with magnet... the screw lodged itself on the outside of the engine block... He refitted the air filter and engine cover, started the engine but engine is still rattling and brake failure, also the vehicle cannot go more than 20mph. after various checks on the computer, he suggested that the problem is A FAULTY BRAKE VACUUM PUMP. once replaced the braking will be fine and the noise will disappear.

Please i need guidance here as to how to solve this 3 very concerning issue... i need my VAN for work! some one help!

problems as stated
1. Brake dont work - pedal is very stiff
2.Loud rattling / grinding noise from engine
3. Loss of engine power - can't go over 20 mph
  5 Lastest Threads by aloye
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Rattling / Grinding noise from engine and brake... Brakes/Hubs aloye 1 1132 19th December 2013 04:43 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome