Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Lag II - Start button does nothing!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th January 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Lag II - Start button does nothing!

Hi all,

I Just want to say this forum is bloody fantastic! So much info and help. Thanks all!!!

I hope someone can give some ideas before I go to the garage tomorrow. I'd rather turn up with suggestions to my problem as some mechanics can be a bit dense, I'm sure you'll agree (no offence to you good ones).

I Returned to my 2001 Lag II 1.6 Expression after work last night (7pm), inserted the card into the dash, the dash lights came on along with the radio and the steering wheel unlocked. I pushed the start button and got a strange and loud clicking noise. That was it! No cranking and no engine start....nothing!

I've had the car for less than a month and wanted to die as my last car gave me so much trouble. I've already had issues with the rear suspension bushes and tyre sensors Grrrr!!!! Shall I sell it already???

Anyway, the headlights came on, indicators worked etc. However, when pressing the start button again after removing and inserting the card the dash light dimmed slowly until they went out. Strange things like this happened (dash light on and off in random order) every time the button was pressed. Upon pressing lots of times the car became useless (nothing worked at all) until I removed and inserted the card again.

It would not start at all so I called the RAC out. His jump leads didn't work and he ended up bump starting it. When I got home I switched it off and then on and no problem with start up. I thought this pointed to a dodgy battery so had it tested today. I was hoping it was knackered as that's an easy fix but it wasn't. The metre was displaying a 12.8v charge and holding a decent charge. Stong enough to start the engine the chap thought.

I hope someone can suggest why I have this problem as when it happens you've had it!!!

Sorry to have gone on. I figured the more information the better.

Cheers. James.
Currently in jamesleicester's garage:
Laguna II 1.6 Expression 2001
  5 Lastest Threads by jamesleicester
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Help!!!!! Removing A Nut Cars & motoring jamesleicester 9 1700 26th September 2007 08:10 PM
Front Suspension Strut Spring Removal? Cars & motoring sport1 9 8754 25th September 2007 10:45 PM
Laguna 2 Coil Spring repair tomorrow! Cars & motoring jamesleicester 6 2026 24th September 2007 10:43 PM
Poor Fuel Economy??? Cars & motoring jamesleicester 3 1664 30th May 2007 10:43 PM
Upgrading elec window switches? Electronics jamesleicester 3 1064 30th April 2007 10:51 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome