Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Legal to drive after failed MOT??

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 27th December 2013
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,370 Posts
Re: Legal to drive after failed MOT??

Fair question on ANPR systems.
Most if not all traffic cars have ANPR systems these days and will pull over uninsured cars. Certainly on motorways where they need to relieve the boredom. But do they bother so much with Tax and MOT ?
Personally, as the MOT does relate to safety, even if only one day a year, I'd be disappointed if they didn't.
DVLA database has details of MOT, Tax, Insurance as up to date as possible. For the first two within minutes though I understand insurance can still lag on updates.
And are the ANPR systems set to warn on all three or can the officers be selective ? Like today we'll set for tax and MOTs tomorrow.
Final thought on the ANPR settings. As the legal position is you need a valid MOT and a fail doesn't overide it, no point in setting the ANPR for failures or even having those details available for the ANPR checks. Though in these days of big brother, I wouldn't bet on it.

Sorry, late at night and rambling
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome