Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - DIY turbo swap on a DCi (turbo failure)

View Single Post
post #38 of (permalink) Old 20th January 2007
Banned User
Curveball Champion
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,879 Posts
Don't allow you're a**ehole's to pucka I'd guess the way to solve this problem is by having the engine oil and filter replaced at mileage far more realistic than 18,000 miles.

Admittedly Renault designated the mileage for changes of the above items at 18K miles I'd guess more for the benefit of selling cars to the fleet market, rather than the man in the street who potters around going maybe 10 miles to work and back.

If you consider the Mk1 Ver of the Lag RTDT, I've had both the MK1 & MK2. On the MK1 the oil and filter change was every 6,000 miles, the Mk1 also used a Garret turbo and a Renault diesel turbo engine it seems to me the only thing these car don't have in common is frequency of oil and filter changes.

I'd be interested knowing if anyone heard of a MK1 turbo blowing that has had the oil & filter changed at the correct intervals, I never heard of a MK1 blowing

Also my Mk1 2.2 RTDT at sale had 90K miles on the clock with frequent trips with a caravan on the back, and take it from me in all the time I owned the Lag1 and was towing NO other car with a van on the back ever went past me.
I contacted Honest John about these MK2 turbo problems this is his direct quote

"It's the direct result of the incredibly stupid oil change regime which allows sludge to accumulate in the engine and block the oil feed to the turbo . If oil changes were scheduled at 5,000 miles none of the cars would have any of the problems you describe"
Currently in hondo's garage:
1.6 Valve-Matic SR. Red hot, toasty feet.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome