Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #320 of (permalink) Old 21st January 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by jamie9dh View Post
Hopefully we can get renault, one of the people at renault rang me to tell me it was my fault as i had not closed the bonnet properly, opened it about 4 weeks ago last, i gave him hell.
This is the standard line that Renault are taking with ALL cases filed to them! Wouldn't surprise me if they now had a crib sheet with this on it!!! When I reported mine, it was escalated straightaway to the Customer Service Management team (Alex Phelan and Lisa Moxon dealt with my case) - latter was pretty incompetent, former more professionally, and accept that Lisa et co didn't act appropriate in my case, but their line stood firm. I.e. no issue with the catch and it was me who didn't close the bonnet properly. The funny thing is they kept implying the catch mechanism was a very simple mechanism, slight contradiction...its simple, but there is a possibility that you might not close it properly - even though there are no obvious signs! The checks I do, is close it with a slight bang (maybe 20-30cms drop), and then tug it to ensure is secure and flush. I did notice that sometimes it didn't close fully and remained on safety - which is obvious as the bonnet is not flush, so I re-open and shut again! They if they are saying that even if the bonnet is flush, it's not closed properly, then who's fault is this? The unlucky driver of that vehicle or the manufacture who designed the mechanism?

I was amazed when he said that Renault did not believe it was a manufacuturers problem, appartenly they had 350,000 sales last year and this has only happened an a minority, 100 according to watchdog estimates.
I would say there are more than this number affected - these are only those who "reported" it Watchdog! Statistics can be skewed so I said to them I don't take any notice of statistics...I told Renault that the very fact that I experienced the issue - and the fact that others have done so too in the similar circumstances, is enough to prove that there is a common pattern - and 1 is too much for my liking.

I replied by asking as a 'caring manufacturer'
Try 'safety' concious manufacture - as this was they are always bragging about in the press - 4 stars here, 5 stars there - at least you know if you plough into another vehicle or run through a red light because you couldn't see through the windscreen (due a silly bonnet being lodged in your windscreen), you are "relatively safe" within your shell of the car!

if they considered it to be ok that they only put a few peoples lives at risk as long as they lined there pockets with the sales of thousands of faulty cars...
Same line I took in that I said if you have sold 350k cars last year, that's 350k potential death trap on the road -then multiple in other popular Clio Countries...France, Italy, Morocco - etc etc....

Shambles isn't it?

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome