Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Consumer Law, have I any rights?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd January 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Consumer Law, have I any rights?

In August 2006 I purchased a used Car from a local independent garage. Within two weeks I experienced acceleration problems and so took the car to a mechanic recommended by the place I bought the car. The garage believed it was a faulty hose but was unable to locate it. They then investigated the Turbo device and stated it was on its way out and needed replacing and that could be the cause of the problem. I was given a verbal quote of approximately £1000 but advised to take the car back to where I bought it before doing anything as they should be fixing the faulty Turbo .

The car sales place didnít believe the Mechanic and called in a second mechanic who works for a main dealer. After a vigorous search the second mechanic found a split hose. They did at no time check the turbo as they believed it was fine, especially as the new hose appeared to correct the fault.

Then yesterday (21/01/07), 5 months after purchasing the car, the turbo has gone on the car. The vehicle was 3.5 yrs old when I purchased it and so not under manufactures warranty.

I feel I have let myself done by not buying from a main dealer and I should have returned the car for a full refund when the original fault was detected. Not being a mechanic I trusted their opinion especially as they slated the mechanic they recommended for quoting the most expensive option to fix the fault which I believed was wrong when they found the split hose. It now turns out the first mechanic didn't find the actual fault as of that time but identified a problem just about to happen.

Have I any chance in consumer law etc whereby the garage I purchased the car from should also be responsible to cover some of the cost.
Currently in rsmith77's garage:
2001 Laguna II 1.6 & 2003 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi
  5 Lastest Threads by rsmith77
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna II cuts out when idle Engines Diesel Man 4 1879 18th June 2009 01:20 PM
Lubricating your Turbo - Fact or Fiction? Engines ottoman 7 1557 8th January 2008 11:36 AM
Renault booked time guide Cars & motoring rsmith77 3 1028 26th June 2007 03:01 PM
Laguna struggling to start but finally does Engines mushroom 3 1468 13th June 2007 02:53 PM
£390 for a wishbone, sounds high!! Steering and Suspension rsmith77 7 1686 6th June 2007 04:00 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome