Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #298 of (permalink) Old 30th December 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

Firstly, apologies i have not managed to read all the responses to this but it seems as if the solution ( if there is one) is different for everyone even though the problem is the same.
I bought my Renault Clio 1.2 expression from a private seller in 2011 and was ok until earlier this year. Pulling out onto a busy one way system the car literally stopped on me causing drivers to nearly crash into me. I noticed the coil light was on and i referred to my book which pointed out water in the fuel or an electrical fault. I switched on and off and managed to drive back home. On my way to the garage to get it looked at the car almost never made it and it was crawl mode all the way. The mechanic kept it for a day and said he could not find anything and said he cleaned it up inside the engine and changed a number of spark plugs. Seemed to work ok for a couple of weeks before it kicked in again after coming out of a late night concert. Again crawl mode home. Garage number two ran his diagnostics and decided a new full body throttle was needed plus sensors to do with the accelerator. He charged me nearly 500 and even showed me parts and that he had actually undercharged me!! Although i felt it wasn't worth it am not in a position to get another car and felt i had no choice. Needless to say about 2 months later same scenario. I ignored it for a while as it seemed to go back to norm until trying to drive it after not using for a few days. It wasn't a cold period but I noticed the coil light would not go off after switching on. Thinking the engine was still warming up i left for about 5 minutes and then switched off. Light went out and although the car just didn't feel right i decided to drive as i was desperate to get to the shops. About a mile in Bang, the car cut out at a traffic light causing a tailback. I was pushed to a side street to await the recovery. Two hours later when he arrived the engine still would not start. Guy I think was guessing and said he thought my cam belt had gone. I then had to pay for another recovery to take it to Garage number three. Mechanic reported that when he put car on his machine it started ok (luckily not the cam belt) but that there were other problems causing this . 400 down again he stated that clios have a problem with the starting sensors and that i needed a new crankshaft fitted,modified the sensor. He also claimed he cleared all fault codes and ran a full check and that car was now ok and it was a 'good car'. A month in, in December same old story. Car just lost power and went into crawl mode again on a busy London gyratory system. I'm now at a loss as three different garages have looked over the car and ran tests and charged me the earth and the problem still remain. I intend to take it back to the second garage as i fully explained the problem to him and he charged me a lot of money but obviously not solved the problem. I'm not knowledgeable about cars so have to go to garages and i have no more money to give. I find it strange that so many Clio are on the road when there is clearly this major problem with them, surely Renault should be bought to book. I understand that having a car you are always paying out for something but to me this is clearly a design fault.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome