Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #324 of (permalink) Old 23rd January 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by jjclio View Post
Hi All, have you seen Watchdog? can you believe they still refused to comment?!! I received an answer from Renault to-day and they said "We do not believe it is possible for the bonnet on the Renault Clio to open unexpectedly if the instructions on page 4.02 of the vehicle's handbook have been followed. These instructions emphasise the need to check that the bonnet is locked after closin." Derrrr. I have been driving for over 30 years, I think I know how to check if my bonnets closed.
Yes do not worry it is nothing to do with checking the bonnet is closed. As Watchdog has continually emphasised, and what we have all concurred with, is that the bonnet may appear flush and secure, it's just the safety catch is "not engaged". Now the comment Renault made to me is that the 'safety catch is not designed to withstand speeds exceeding 40mph' (verbally unfortunately). This is concurred with the comments made on tonight's programme!

Now this brings into the line of conversation (which Renault are unable to comment on) - what made the "main catch" release then? Cos the main catch is only released by the release lever from the inside passenger side? Everyone seems to be focusing on the "safety catch" which is only half the story.

Renault and NO ONE can provide me a reason why the main catch did not function. Based on the original Watchdog inspection, the only comment thus far that seems to hold is that the main catch is actually quite flimsy, and it just needs a bump on the road to potentially "give". With the combination that the "safety catch" might not be engaged - brings us to the only sound conclusion - i.e. the experiences the 250+ people have experienced.

Do not forget there are more than this amount of cases - these are simply those who have reported to Watchdog. Dunno the volumes reported to VOSA or Renault UK, and do not know the amounts of people who didn't do anything, except claim from their insurance!

Renault, Renault, Renault ---- when will you learn? A recall and mass communication is the only way forward -- blood is on their hands!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome