Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Parking brake warning and Stop light on

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 2nd January 2014
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,370 Posts
Re: Parking brake warning and Stop light on

If your handbrake is physically working okay, it may simply be a case of having the fault codes cleared.
If there are issues, they need to be fixed before the codes will stay cleared.
Unfortunately, there seem to be a load of fail safes built into the system as I found recently after changing my rear brake pads.
And anything that disturbs the electronic parameters can trigger a fail safe, like stripping down a rear wheel and replacing bits.

First thing I would do is get back to the garage who presumably cleared the codes before. Specifically get them to double check the operation and re-clear codes. And tell you what they cleared.
If their diagnostics can talk to the brake system, this should either identify a specific fault which can then be addressed or fix the left over codes.

Be aware that not all third party diagnostics can deal with Renault fault codes even if they can recognise them.

You can also go to Renault whose kit can correctly identify problems and clear codes.
Downside of this is that some dealers take advantage and charge a fortune, only to tell you that the Electronic unit needs replacing, which will set you back more then a few hundred, the unit alone is over 500, plus fitting.
If the unit was working before the wheel bearing work, no reason why it shouldn't be now so be prepared to stand your ground.
The default is you need a new unit. The reality is you may but it's also quite possible that the system parameters have just got a little lost and need resetting.
Sorry to be pessimistic but there is often no quick fix, just perserverance.

Tell us exactly which warning signs are up and when..mayhelp give a clue
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome