Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - driving ban insurance

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 25th January 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
A few years back, I remember a friend of mine telling me that the directors of the company she worked for all had cover like this. I suspect it was a much more comprehensive and expensive policy, as she reckoned it covers all bans (including drink driving) and that they basically got their own chaeuffer driven car for the duration of the ban. Though maybe you can do that for 1000 quid a month.

This policy only covers bans that result from 'totting up' of a number of offences valued at three points or less. So if you get a more serious speeding fine (remember the courts can give you up to 6 points for any speeding offence) then the policy won't pay out. Drink-driving is worth at least ten, so you're definitely not covered for that.

It sounds like a good little earner to me, as they'll be able to take everyone's premiums but not have to pay out for the majority of bans.

What they don't tell you is that the 12 point totting-up ban is not automatic, and if you can prove to the court that it will seriously disrupt your ability to work and will be detrimental to your employer, you might get away with a hefty fine. A friend of mine was still legally driving with 15 current points on his licence at one stage. He wouldn't say how much he was fined, but I think his last one cost him a four figure sum for being clocked at 35 in a 30

Then again, he also knew the secret handshake.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome