Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Service with MOT, do you think it's worth me splashing the cash?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 3rd January 2014
Renoir White
Platinum Member located in the UK
Technical Supremo
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 32
Thanked 1,445 Times in 1,200 Posts
Re: Service with MOT, do you think it's worth me splashing the cash?

I've always had my ancient heap Vaux Astra serviced at the same time as the MOT.
It doesn't do anything to enhance its value but it's comforting to know it'll be reliable and safe for another year. The majority of the bill usually associated with anything which is flagged up as an MOT 'fail' so the servicing costs are more 'reasonable'. I know I could save myself a fair sum if I was to do my own servicing (I am experienced to do this but the garage is more convenient as I'm in a rural location) but if you are unsure about doing all the jobs or are going to leave things unattended for 11 months then you'd be wise to let the garage do it.
The MOT is just a safety check 'on the day' and won't predict things like when your brake pads will need changing or transmission oil changes etc which a proper service would check in closer detail.
Currently in Renoir White's garage:
Renault Trafic 1.7 Petrol Vauxhall Astra 1.4i & in bits Triumph Bonneville T140E & H-D XLH1200
The Following User Says Thank You to Renoir White For This Useful Post:
bigfatballbag (5th January 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome