Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane MK2 Handbrake

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 5th January 2014
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,372 Posts
Re: Megane MK2 Handbrake

I assume manual handbrake.

Do you mean that they are not self adjusting?

With cables on and handbrake off, do return arms sit on stops?
If not, are cables free?

Drop cables, make sure arms are returning to stops and aren't floppy
They may or may not have external springs, some including refurbs by TRW don't, they have internal springs.
Remove calipers and ensure that the piston moves with the arms and the arms return fully.
Should be direct coupled with no free play.
Make sure enough meat left on the pads, couple of mm at least though I think the book says more. And that pads are moving freely, not stuck.
Wind pistons in, at least one full turn but preferably more and recheck movement of arms.

If all seems okay it' a refit job, if not, new(or refurb) caliper(s)
If refitting existing, I'd wind em back all the way and re-set to pads by winding back out. Take cap off fluid resevoir and jam a rag around/under to catch fluid if pushed out. And it's often easier to wind em back with the bleed nipple open.
You'll need to top up fluid and bleed brakes but I find the Scenic needs rebleeding anyway when the pistons are wound back.
When you wind piston back out to suit pads take it to a snug fit. If you over extend the piston, wind it back in at least a turn (or more) to reset and then wind back out.
You shouldn't have them but if there are a couple of pips on the back of the pads, set the piston so they sit in the cross on the piston head.
Touch of copper slip n sliding parts of the pads, refit caliper, bleed brakes, fit handbrake cable last and do not operate hanbrake/lever arm until brakes have been taken up on footbrake.

Sorry, may be teaching you to suck eggs.
And in answer to your original question.
Yes you can rebuild calipers yourself but it's fiddly and you need to get the parts, if they've been forced back thats the whole internal adjust system. Easier and safer to get exchange refirbs IMO
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.

Last edited by Dancingdad; 5th January 2014 at 09:59 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancingdad For This Useful Post:
hondo (5th January 2014), stuart j (5th January 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome