Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Service with MOT, do you think it's worth me splashing the cash?

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 5th January 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Service with MOT, do you think it's worth me splashing the cash?

Originally Posted by Renoir White View Post
I've always had my ancient heap Vaux Astra serviced at the same time as the MOT.
It doesn't do anything to enhance its value but it's comforting to know it'll be reliable and safe for another year. The majority of the bill usually associated with anything which is flagged up as an MOT 'fail' so the servicing costs are more 'reasonable'. I know I could save myself a fair sum if I was to do my own servicing (I am experienced to do this but the garage is more convenient as I'm in a rural location) but if you are unsure about doing all the jobs or are going to leave things unattended for 11 months then you'd be wise to let the garage do it.
The MOT is just a safety check 'on the day' and won't predict things like when your brake pads will need changing or transmission oil changes etc which a proper service would check in closer detail.
Originally Posted by Dancingdad View Post
Doesn't matter the age or value, cars need servicing. Also need an MOT.
Makes sense to combine if you aren't doing work yourself.
Only caveat is find a garage you trust to sort it for you So the bill isn't loaded.
Originally Posted by davesss View Post
If you have no confirmation of the cambelt dates then you need a new one, if the cambelt breaks you might as well scrap the car.

There is no way to inspect the cambelt and say,it might be OK!

If you are going to only have the car for 2 years at least with the confirmation that a new cambelt has been fitted would be a good selling point and you would have no worry about it snapping.

A dealer is not a mechanic, what does he know ?
Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
The dealer also had his profit margin to consider - replacing a cambelt would've eliminated that completely.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, looks like I'll probably pay for a combined MOT and service for piece of mind. I suppose it's a sensible option considering the mileage and age of the car, rather than risking potential more critical issues down the line. It's just a question of, as mentioned, finding a 'trustworthy' garage who wont bend me over backwards. You think places like Halfords and Kwik fit would be honest enough, but I have read some unsettling things about them. Has anyone had any experiences with these two big name garages?

With regards to the cambelt issue, the agreement was that the dealer and I were going to go halves on replacement, as this was what was worrying me most about the car. After waiting over a week for his 'mechanic' to replace it, the conclusion of 'the cambelt looks fine' was drawn. In the end I just ended up taking his word. I'll just have to wait and see if this comes back to haunt me when I take my Clio for its service at the end of the month :/
Currently in bigfatballbag's garage:
1.2 Clio Dynamique 16V, Black, Ripspeed Alloy Wheels.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome