Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sat Nav

Thread: Sat Nav
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10th November 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Now here's a revelation (hold your breath...)

I used my GO 700 in my new car for the first time today. It's the first time I've strayed onto unfamiar territory since getting the car (at least the first time where wifey hasn't bagsey'd the TomTom first.)

It doesn't matter where I put it on the windscreen, it works fine! In the old car, it was practically useless unless it was precisely located or had the external aerial, but in the new car, it really doesn't seem to matter.

It strikes me that there are two possibilities:
1) Renault have dropped the heat reflective windscreen (if they're not fitting it on the Initiale, then I doubt they're fitting it on any of the others.)
2) They've come up with a new formulation for a heat reflective screen that allows GPS signals through.

I haven't checked for the purple tint yet, but always found this only gave itself away under certain lighting conditions anyway.

The best test would be to borrow a GPS device and see if it works. Failing that, I believe the reflective layer also blocks infra-red (as a result, infra-red toll tags have to be mounted in the dotted area on the Laguna.) So you could try watching the IR transmitter on an infra-red remote control using the a mobile phone camera. This should normally show up as visible white light on the camera (it's a handy way for testing suspected dead remotes too) but if the screen kills off infra-red light, the camera shouldn't be able to see it through the windscreen.

So, does anyone want to buy a TomTom 300/500/700 permanent mount kit? I think I might have one to get shut of in the not too distant future.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome