Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 1 - Replacing Faulty Door Latch

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 7th January 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Post Re: Renault Megane 1 - Replacing Faulty Door Latch

Originally Posted by Amund View Post
Hi folks. Newb from Norway here.

I have a 1998 megane 5 door.

The rigth rear door won't open. When I press the remote key the "lock thumb" only goes halfway up. I thougth there was a problem with the solenoid so i took off the door panel og startet to wiggle with the rod to the door lock. Nothing happens.

The solenoid is hidden inside the door so i cant reach it. Is ther another trick to open the door, so i can unmount and replace the solenoid?

I've just had the exact same problem. (For the 2nd time though) So lucky I know how to change the solenoid!

Fortunately you can remove the door card when the door is shut. However 1st thing to try is removing the inside door handle, you need a torx screw head for this. Then you'll see a cable/bar, pull this towards the front of the car & the door should open, if not, try unlocking the door then try again.

If that doesn't work, you need to remove the door card. (See the other posts on how to do this)

You'll need a light, shine it towards the door mechanism & try fiddling with the locking solenoid, the door should open.

Once the door is open, remove the wire coming from the outer door handle to the lock mechanism. (Very Fiddly)then undo the 3 bolts holding the mech to the door and try & free the mech. Its a tight job but with some patience the lock should be just able to squeeze out the door.

You'll see the solenoid in the mech (it has a plastic case) this needs to be removed. Unfortunately it cannot be taken apart & repaired, so the best bet is to go to a scrap yard & do this process again. Better still, do it first on a scarp yard car, just incase something breaks you know to be more careful on your own car!

Then put back together not forgetting the electrical connections & the wire for the outer door handle & hopefully it is fixed!

Hope this has helped
Currently in Ninja_Goat's garage:
1998 Renault Megane 1.4RT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome