Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #332 of (permalink) Old 27th January 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by jjclio View Post
i was mad at watchdog and ended up down the local! what about a class action? if watchdog have had 250 people contacting them, if we all got together we could have some power. renault would surely have to respond then?
off out now, but what do you think?
Yes this is the only alternative route "we" could follow. BUT, it needs conviction and evidence to back up our case.

Things like anything that could potentially pose a legal challenge in the liabilty of the issue - and counter claims that it was the driver's fault. It's the "their word against the driver" issue! The only way of 'proving' the incident was caused by a fault catch, is by technical reports, and/or confirmation that the catch was sticky at the last servicing.

The only thing I've got it my case is a letter from my local Baldock's garage is a note signifying that the catch was found to be stiff and could have locked if it had not been lubricated properly.

Also, a comment made from Renault themselves (twice) that the Safety Catch was not designed to operate over 40mph - they then try to counter this by saying it works in all speeds (confused, you bet I was!!). Also, on the reply to the Watchdog programme Renault indicated that all their inspections were completed with a representative of the Insurance company and the customer was invited to attend. As mine was not undertaken via the insurance route, they did not offer me the option to attend (and I was working - and was not given enough notice to attend myself!). So I could state that the review was conducted behind closed doors - and therefore is not valid. Repeated requests for a copy of the report have been declined by Renault (what could they be hiding?).

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome