Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rust repair

Thread: Rust repair
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11th November 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I'm no expert by any means but have carried out various "Minor cosmetic" repairs over the years.
Make sure the area to be treated is clean from dirt/grease/loose paint etc first. Depending on size or area to be treated use either fine wet/dry paper or a small abrasive "wire brush".After sanding down with fine wet & dry paper I would use the normal primer, using the filler primer afterwards for any "deeper" imperfections. I would then using fine wet and dry again and/or T -cut ( or similar) again depending on size of area. Build the layers up in several thin coats rather than one thick coat.
The same goes when applying the top coats of paint. Allow each coat to dry ( I use t-cut between coats ). Once you are happy with the finish, apply 2 thin layers or "top lacquer coat" ( if you have mettallic paint).
Finally use a good quality polish followed by a wax treatment. When using touch uppaints for small areas/scratches/chips etc get a good quality artists paint brush as you have much better control and get a finer detail finish than using the brushes supplied with the paint. The key is to be patient and do it in stages, don't try to finish it in one afternoon.

Currently in SportTourer's garage:
2010 Laguna III SportTourer Initiale Tom Tom.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome