Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic 6 speed gearbox? why??

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 30th January 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile 6 speed gearbox?

Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
I've never driven a car that couldn't have benefitted from an extra gear, and that includes my current Lag with the 6 speed box. Cruising down the motorway at 70mph, you know it'd be just as happy in 7th if it had one.

If the gears are lacking, then why don't the manufactures alter the ratios of the existing gears to compensate ... or is that toooooo simple

No, you won't use 6th gear much around town, but the same was true of 5th. If you do any motorway driving at all, then you will use it and it'll take you all of a week before it becomes second nature. In the unlikely event that I'm wrong, and you still find the idea troublesome, you can always pretend you don't have the extra gear and just drive it like it's a 5 speed box
Oh, I doubt I will have much trouble getting used to the new gearbox having been in the military and drove just about everything on wheels
So what next 7 gears, 8 gears, 9 gears? With the amount of town traffic all we really need is in-town gears and an overdrive for when we venture out on the open road / motorways.

Currently in Gael33's garage:
2010 Renault Grand Scenic Privelege 1.5dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome