Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - anyone from sheffield or south yorkshire spotted a montego

View Single Post
post #55 of (permalink) Old 12th January 2014
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: anyone from sheffield or south yorkshire spotted a montego

Originally Posted by karenlouise1967 View Post
4 out of the 8 cars I've owned were ARG/BL models. First a Mini, then two Metros, followed by a 214. All of them were fine in terms of bodywork, mostly just the usual mechanical bits you expect. The second Metro only rusted from unrepaired vandalism (I couldn't afford the excess on the insurance claim). My 214Si was sound for bodywork, even underneath. Just under the bonnet was a problem , but that was down to the previous owner thrashing the out of the engine etc.

Karen xx
Mini - from being a non-runner bought in 1984 for 50. Re sprayed. Engine changed from 850 to 1100. Interior and dashboard changed. I had it for 3.5 years. Shared with my dad. Gave it to my sister in 1988. She subsequently sold it to her friend for 250.

1st Metro - 21st birthday present in early 88. Ex-company car. Solid all round. Scarily the carburettor had live current going across it when I got it (once we'd figured this out, all the weird problems like unexplained stalling/sticking accelerator, were also solved).

2nd Metro - one and only new car. 6 wks old, some smashed the rear bumper. Various accident damage (not down to me) and vandalism. Kept for 9 years. Only rust was unrepaired damage. Peeling paint on the roof due to bad paint repair (by an ARG dealership's body shop).

214 - 6 years old and high mileage but sound bodywork, even underneath. Previous owner had caned the engine though. Clutch went due to being worn out on both sides. Exhaust system with flexipipe was over 200 (late 90s). These cars were also heavy on tyres at 70 a pop for ordinary medium profiles. Ouch. Final insult was cambelt snapping. Damage repaired, engine rebuilt. Then new water pump failed. I scrapped it. Owned for 4 and a bit years.

Karen xx

'Oh mice, dear mice, I love you all, but there are so many of you' (Bagpuss, 1973)
Currently in karenlouise1967's garage:
Scenic 1.9 dCi Privilege, before that a heap of rubbish aka Scenic 2.0 RXE now finally moved from neighbour's drive by the recyclers, before that a much loved Megane 1 Coupe 2.0 (RIP)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome