Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What's the biggest load of cobblers a car dealer or mechanic has ever told you?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st January 2007 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
What's the biggest load of cobblers a car dealer or mechanic has ever told you?

I mentioned this on another thread, and I think I'll go ahead with it. I've seen far too many examples of the staff at dealers (and other garages) spouting rubbish to get them out of doing something constructive.

No naming and shaming of the dealer. Just tell us the inventive little tale that they came up with to get out of doing some work or fob you off with some shoddy workmanship that they'd already carried out. I don't suppose it hurts to name the marque, as they can't be held accountable for what comes out of their dealers' mouths.

I'll kick off with my MkII Astra, which had been into the Vauxhall dealer to be repaired after a prang (not my fault.) They reckoned the car needed jigging, and duly did so. I can't help thinking they were just after more money from the insurers.

When I got the car back, a number of things were obviously wrong with it. I won't go into the details here. But the worst thing was that the car pulled quite sharply to one side (I forget which) under acceleration.

The dealer's answer? All front wheel drive cars do that. It's because one driveshaft is longer than the other. Your car has always done that, it's just that you've only noticed it now that you're looking for faults.

I took the car to Smileys (that's how long ago it was) and they told me that the front wheel alignment was out by at least 10mm

So go on, what wonderfully inventive porky pies have you been told?
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
  5 Lastest Threads by Horatio
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio II odd ABS fault Electronics jamie 6 3837 22nd May 2011 08:49 AM
Carminat TomTom nightmare Electronics JohnKFreeman 9 16955 7th May 2011 09:54 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome