Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #366 of (permalink) Old 31st January 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Although the "WhatCar" chap that appeared on Watchdog stated that he wasn't aware of any other manufacture, not "entirely" Alfa Romeo apparently have similar quoted here from a National newspaper's online site archive:

"I have an Alfa Romeo 156 on a 51 '01 plate. Whilst driving at 70mph the bonnet shot open smashing the windscreen, denting the roof, bending the supports, and crippling the bonnet. I had driven more than 300 miles since the bonnet was last opened so this would appear to be a bonnet release failure, not that I forgot to close it. I am reluctant to claim on my insurance as I feel this has been caused by a defect to the car. I have contacted my local Alfa dealer who have told me there was a recall for the Alfa bonnet catch and my car has been 'done'. Do I have a leg to stand on with Alfa or will I have to claim through my insurance? Greg Black, Bournemouth

The bonnet catch is exposed to salt and grime from the road surface. As a result it can stick in the open position unless it***8217;s regularly greased and, if necessary, cleaned. After a few cases of bonnets flying open, Alfa did issue an instruction to dealers to check the catch, clean it up (or replace it if it was excessively corroded) and then make sure it is regularly checked and greased (i.e. at every service). This regular check and lubrication is vital. The fact that your car has been ***8220;done***8221; simply indicates that the catch was checked, cleaned and lubricated at the time. After that, the important thing is regular maintenance to keep it free of salt and well greased, which is down to whoever services the car. If it***8217;s the local dealer, go back and talk to them, but it***8217;s their liability, not Alfa***8217;s, if the catch wasn***8217;t greased in line with Alfa***8217;s instruction."

August 2006 - Car Clinic - Times Online

...and it sounds like various models of the Alfa Romeo have the similar issues that "we [Renault Owners] experienced"

This off-forum link also lists some further comments from other Alfa Romeo owner's (again, apologises, but puts my comment to VOSA into context - I try to back up any comments I make )

Bonnet Safety Catch! - Alfa Romeo Forum

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome