Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #368 of (permalink) Old 31st January 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
He was actually surprised to hear that there were technical reports out there were confirmed that there was an issue with the bonnet catch. I recommended he speak with Watchdog on this!

I don't actually think he has done any detailed research into these reported cases - and think he ought to do to fully represent VOSA in any comm's of this nature - else he is seeming to sound incompetent....

On the point about a bonnet being flush...actually you are right, I re-read my post and it didn't quite summarise the discussions on this subject I had with the cheese at VOSA, so let's start that point again... (have to try to justify myself )

When he was discussing that a bonnet should be tugged to prove it is secure (he gave an example of what he does etc), I explained that this was the case prior to my incident - in terms of when I last closed the bonnet. I explained what I was unable to tell from this was whether the safety catch was "engaged" fully or not, as without sticking your fingers to really poke in between the radiator grate - it's virtually impossible to tell by just looking (or tugging) at the bonnet! I did state that this could be the reason why the safety catch was "not broken". I went on to explain that this potentially meant the only thing holding the bonnet down was the main catch, but I couldn't explain to him how it released itself - this related to this conversation point that it was a two-catch system... the only thing I implied is it appeared to be possible for the main catch to not hold due t the simplistic design of the main catch mechanism, I guess a bump in the road or a gush of wind was all that is needed?

My point about being on safety only - actually related to a discussion point based on Renault UK's early comments, that the bonnet was on "safety-only" and this was how I could have drove several weeks without the bonnet realising itself earlier. I noted that this was not possible, as the bonnet would not be flush - if on safety only!!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome