Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #373 of (permalink) Old 1st February 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by ren25 View Post
I was in the local distributors to-day and asked about, the Clio bonnet. As to if they had sold many for the Mk2 and the answer was one or two. Now this is the main distributor for the North East of Scotland. I still believe that if people paid more attention to the condition of their cars then there would be fewer problems. It seems to me that having seen quite a few older cars that the last thing people seem to look at is the bonnet catch. Everyone seems to want to blame someone else for things going wrong. It is stated in Law that the driver is responsible for making sure the vehicle is roadworthy before starting off. So why are we still going on about this subject, when theres a whole life out there to live?
I do concur with your thoughts that there is more to life than winging and complaining - but if it is someone's life that could be at risk - it is duty of us mere-mortals to do something about it.

A manufacture has the duty to create a vehicle that is safe and road-worthy - esp. one that keeps bragging about being 'safety concious'. If they say this and act the opposite then this is not only irresponsible but provides us a reason to keep up our case against them.

If there is a death that is contributable by a bonnet flying up, and we do not do anything about it (those folks that have experienced similar incidents, or does that have the interests of others in mind), then I feel we would feel some guilt for not ensuring the manufactures addresses the potential safety defect, respond and act!

I do agree that it is the owner's responsibility to maintain a vehicle on the road - but when a car is brought into a Renault garage - it is expected (maybe wrongly) that all safety-critical aspects are maintained. Actually, this is NOT the case, so we actually drive aware with a car that is potentially still as dangerous as when we drove into the servicing garage. How can this be?

The most ironic bit is that a similar fault on Alfa Romeo resulted in 3-models being recalled - that's a safety concious manufacture. Even if were to simply advise owners of the "potential" issue. If Renault don't do these then more of these incidents will continue to happen.

Renault are trying to be clever -- as assume that if they continue with their inaction, the cars will eventually be off the road and on a scrap heap - when folks replace to the newer model - but this is such as risk! There are still hundres of the Mk1 model around, so how long would 350k cars take to be replaced???? That's an awful amount of potential deathtraps on the road right?

Would you like to be travelling behind such a vehicle with your kids in the car? If there is a chance that you are involved in a RTA that could be fatal - surely you can see this is enough to continue to press Renault for action - even to ack that a problem exists?

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI

Last edited by brigatti; 1st February 2007 at 06:45 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome