Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear brake pad replacement problem Help

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 14th January 2014
Platinum member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 3 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Re: Rear brake pad replacement problem Help

Originally Posted by tonyandkaty View Post
One other thing that gets me wondering is if the calipers were knackered would I be having any problems or not with the rear brakes ??

As surely the brakes would not release or am I totally going down the wrong path lol
Your car has an electronic handbrake that pulls the handbrake cables in place of a handbrake lever that cars normally have, that's the only real difference.

Although the handbrake system is built into the caliper the two systems work independently.

Pressing the foot brake moves the caliper piston out hydraulically by forcing brake fluid into the caliper and in turn pushing the piston out to apply the brakes.

The handbrake mechanism works by the cable pulling the handbrake lever on the caliper which moves the threaded rod that the piston is screwed onto out to apply the brake.

The handbrake levers on the calipers do over time start to seize up due to weather ingress. This normally shows as poor the handbrake performance.

I wouldn't expect caliper failure at 37,000 miles on a 4 year old car, and if they had I would be having a word with Renault customer services .

Please take the time to enter your vehicle details in the "What's current in your garage?" box.

To do this:
Hover over the "TOOLS" tab at the top of the page
> then in the dropdown click on "User Dashboard"
> click on "Edit Your Details" at the top Left hand side.
> scroll down to the "What's current in your garage?" box and enter your vehicle details.
> Once the details are entered scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes"

> Done.
Currently in TTT's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Dynamique Sport Tourer
The Following User Says Thank You to TTT For This Useful Post:
tonyandkaty (14th January 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome