Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 2 - Electronics - Pairing Bluetooth phones to incar handsfree kit

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 13th November 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Personally, I think the Navcom solution is very good. It's certainly better than the ones that need you to remove the SIM from your phone and slot it into the dash, or order a second SIM from your provider (which costs extra money, doesn't necessarily work properly, and isn't even available on some providers or plans.)

There's no quick and easy way to download the whole phone book, but you can transfer numbers over to the Navcom memory selectively via Bluetooth using 'send business card' on your phone. This also allows you to add voice dialling tags for up to 40 names in the process. Yes, it's tedious, but it took me less than an hour to transfer all of the ones I needed. How does that compare with the amount of time you'd spend running around to have the cradle fitted?

But if the feature is really important to you, then push for the cradle. After all, they advertise it as an option so it should be up to them to find a way to make it happen even if the wiring isn't there. But it strikes me as a lot of hassle just to get the phonebook to synchronise. As for charging the phone, it's simple enough to just plug a car charger into one of the numerous cigarette lighter sockets and use that to top up the battery as and when required.

Be aware that even if you manage to get a cradle, it's liable to be very badly thought out. Renault's track record in this department is pretty poor in my experience. The Laguna 1 cradle blocked one of the air vents, and the original Laguna 2 cradle filled the whole of the centre arm rest when folded away, and interfered with the handbrake and gear lever when folded out!

Edit: Just re-read the original post and picked up the '500 factory option' part. It stinks to high heaven of 'excuse' to me, but I suppose it covers their backsides without them actually having to provide you with the option. I'm betting that this 500 system is for cars without Navcom fitting. I'm also betting that there's the wiring or at least a socket for the wiring somewhere on the hardware in your car. I can't see them designing two separate systems, one with a socket for the cradle and one without.

My experience has shown that if you don't like a dealer's answers to your question, it's worth asking another dealer for a second opinion. Some of them say "can't be done" when they really mean "can't be arsed."
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 13th November 2005 at 07:40 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome