Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #379 of (permalink) Old 1st February 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
OK Ottoman. I could have put it better I suppose. I wasn't trying to upset anyone, only trying to make a couple of points. In all my 44 years of owning cars I have never seen a reference in any manufacturers manuals about the maintenance of the bonnet catch or the safety catch. In the early days this was put down to the use of the oil can, and covered all moving body parts such as hinges etc.
I obliviously must also take into account that most drivers to-day do little in maintenance, which they now leave to the garage to do. What I think is now required (which is also a sign of the times), is for manufacturers to stipulate very single item that should be maintained. Including the bonnet and safety catches and at what intervals.
As you will see I now drive a 2002 Laguna which has a service interval of 18000 miles or 2 years, like most other Renaults. This I believe is far too long, and from what I have seen elsewhere on this forum a large number of members also agree. I do a full service (equal to the 36000 mile) once a year, and an 18000 once a year. In other words it gets a service every 6 months what ever the mileage. The car it self has actually covered 13717 miles in the last year, and car has been faultless. Oh except for one dipped headlight bulb which cost 2.50 and five minutes of my time.
If as you say that the failure of both catches was not down to maintenance, then surely when the bonnet was opened each week (as you are advised to check fluid levels etc) something would have been seen, heard or felt, indicating that there was a fault? But I think this is one of those subjects which is likely to go on for years.
Again I'm sorry if I upset anyone it was not my intention.
A note to Ottoman. If you come to the meeting next Wednesday I will be able to explain better, as I never did get any grades for English.
Currently in ren25's garage:
Laguna 11 1.8 16v Authentique Auto 5 door Hatch
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome