I've had a Y reg 3.0L initiale for over a year now. I've had to spend money on bits and pieces, but nothing unusual.
I drive foot to the floor, so I'm averaging 22mpg (although the computer says 26). If I drive carefully on a run, I can get over 30mpg!
Things I don't like:
1. I don't think the ratios on the 5 speed auto box use the power to it's best. If I were buying another, it would be a manual.
2. A new pair of Continental tyres on the front lasted only 10K miles (at £120 each).
3. The various electronics boxes in the car cummunicate via "can bus". Occasionally it loses sync and things stop working - eg the sat nav. Nothing serious, stop the engine and start again and all is well.
4. Gear changes in the auto box are not as smooth as I would expect. My Renault dealer changed the gearbox
and said it was "ok". It has done nearly 100K so perhaps it is nearing the end of its life.
5. The passenger side front window doesn't open or shut as it should. Seems to be a common (and expensive) fault.
6. The throttle is "fly by wire", i.e. there is no cable connecting the accelerator pedal to the
. A sudden press of the accelerator - say when coming up to a roundabout - doesn't necessarily result in the expected immediate surge in power. The delay can be disconcerting to say the least!
I hope this helps. On the whole, it has been a great car to own. I will be selling mine in the next few months - but only because I want more power (I'm thinking of a 4 or 5 litre bmw with lpg conversion)!
Go for it!