Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Making the 12v cigarette lighter sockets permanently live

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 4th February 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Cigarette lighter update

Hi All,

Well intrigue got the better of me and I decided to have a go at removing the MTU to do the modification myself. I managed to get the unit out and down to pedal level but this didn’t give me enough working room. I couldn’t proceed any further without unplugging the many cable connector blocks that go into it and at this point I got scared and put the unit back. I didn’t want my car stuck on the drive not recognising my key card with the steering lock stuck on from loss of power!

I decided to speak to some dealers to find out how much it would cost to be done….

Renault dealer 1 – They didn’t have the technical people qualified to do the job
Renault dealer 2 – Put me through to the parts department?!?
Renault dealer 3 – Were not prepared to modify it from its original specification.

The only good to come from this is that I found that the MTU was covered in water. This was due to the drain holes in my sunroof being blocked, a common problem apparently and many thanks to Renault Forum users for posting this very useful information.

Cheers, Ashley (still powerless)
Currently in onnward's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome