Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Heater Fan Not Working*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 18th January 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2 - Heater Fan Not Working*FIXED*

Originally Posted by funk-star View Post
Well after trauling the internet looking for a fix for my blower not working i stumbled across this site, so armed with common faults i started.

Now my fault was no blower on 1234 so this might not help some of you.

remove driver scuttle panel

unbolt firewall 10ish 10mm bolts

unplug fan connector and check voltage with ignition on and fan switch at 4

If you have 12volts then this is the cheap fix for you.

Remove blower unit (3 10mm bolts) and multiplug (slide red part out) and unclip the plastic clips making sure not to snap them (i broke 2 lol)

Now the unit is in 2 halfs grab the fan part and wiggle the motor unit out.

Pop the metal clips off sides to get to the brushes (2 clips & 2 springs)

If like me you will the wires and brushes destroyed.

Search ebay or google for siemens motor brushes and purchase (12.50 for a pair)

now these will be to big but the graphite is soft as butter so these can be filed down so they slide in witout binding. (might also need to be shortened to around 15mm in length) I used some from a mk1 golf unit so size might vary.

you now need to trim the original wires to 10mm ish in length, also do the same on the new brushes.

Solder the 2 wires together and reassemble.

Plug back up and hey presto working blower.

saving of 195 from dealers for a hours work.

Hope this is of use to someone?

I had a similar fault to this, fan was intermittent but worked on all four switch settings. When the fan did work it was sluggish and made some strange noises.

Using the info supplied in the above post I removed the fan from the car and took it to a work bench.

Disconnect the electrical plug, then remove the two cross point screws from the fan unit. Use a little bit of gentle persuasion and ease the fan and motor from the housing. You can now see the internal workings of the motor and the brush assemblies.

The brushes on my fan had plenty of "meat" left on them but they were a little bit corroded which was probably causing them to stick and not contact the commutator properly.

Note - Make a note of which way the brush is fitted before you remove it.

If you are very careful you can bend the clips that hold the brush and spring in place. (Watch out for the spring popping out when you release the clips).

Ease the brush out and then using some very fine emery paper clean the crud from all four sides of the brush. Replace the brush making sure that you refit it the same way that it was originally fitted and make sure that the brush is a nice smooth sliding fit. Refit the spring and re-secure by bending the clips back to their original position.

Repeat for the other brush.

You can also give the commutator a light clean with some very fine emery paper to remove the fine carbon deposits. The commutator should be a nice copper colour.

Re-assemble the motor to the housing and refit to the car.

Note - To make sure you have fixed the fault you can test the fan before you refit it to the car. (You might need an assistant to hold the fan securely in the engine bay whilst you do this, but make sure that their fingers are not near the moving fan as on setting 4 the fan rotates very quickly).
Currently in thisisrobbo's garage:
51 Clio Expression 1.2, 53 Astra SXI, 63 Mazda 2
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome