Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Its worth taking a few minutes to do this.

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 7th February 2007 Thread Starter
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
I'm always a bit wary of using de-icer so choose to stand in my car park with a brew whilst the car is defrosting - does de-icer really damage your paintwork?
I must admit, I'm not keen on de-icer myself (it usually has petroleum distillates in it, and lots of warnings about not getting it onto the paintwork), for that reason, I don't use it(some will no doubt swear blind that they've used it for years without a problem, and fair play if that's worked), I'd be more concerned about it not...

Something that you can do which speeds up the defrosting process (safely) is to place a hot water bottle on the dashboard (not touching the windscreen), also, when running the engine from cold, don't be tempted to turn the heater to max heat until the gauge shows the engine's temp increasing (otherwise, you are drawing any heat from the engine, blowing cold air onto the windscreen, and delaying the engine from reaching a warm temp).

An ice scraper will also assist with the side windows & upper regions of the windscreen.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome