Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear Brake Pads/ Discs in 59 reg Scenic

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 25th January 2014
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,377 Posts
Re: Rear Brake Pads/ Discs in 59 reg Scenic

14k does seem a little on the light side for rear pads, best part of 30K on the second set does seem more reasonable.

Discs, personally I reckon discs ought to be good for 100K at least but designers don't seem to agree with me
If memory serves, Renault specify 0.5mm wear per side (1mm overall) as maximum wear.
That's a set of discs every time a set of pads needs replacing

Mechanically there is no need for this limit. The true limit is the maximum travel of the piston minus the full wear of the pads plus a safety factor. Which will work out far more them 0.5mm

There is also the worry about physical strength reducing as discs reduce in thickness and too be fair they have to think of one pad sticking and load being one sided.

Thermally, it's more difficult and is based on heat gained versus cooling area and volume to absorb the heat and again they have to consider worst case.

There is also the case that with every available ounce being saved for fuel economy that discs and many other parts are far skinnier then they used to be.
But I still wonder whether this is a true safety consideration or a money spinner.

I don't know so the only thing I can say is go with the specs but don't have to like em
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome