Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Heater Fan Not Working*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 26th January 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2 - Heater Fan Not Working*FIXED*

Well, it wasn't the relay!
I had 12V feeding the motor on position 4 but the motor was not turning. This signified that it was not the resistor pack either. Followed the instructions posted previously for removing the fan assembly motor housing and inspected the motor on the bench.

Somehow, and I'm not quite sure how, a small amount of water had leaked onto the uppermost brush assembly. Lots of carbon deposits here and the brush has seized.

Removed both brushes by carefully bending the kinked spring retainer straight and cleaned the brushes with very fine wet and dry (good tip that). Cleaned the brush housing with cotton buds with industrial meths (contact cleaner is good too). Also cleaned the motor's commutator. Reassembled, take care to retain the brush springs sufficiently by kinking the brass retainers. Don't over do it and squash the bush housing!!

Before reassembling it in the car, I temporarily connected the electrics and checked operation. Hey Presto, it worked!

Reassembly to the car was a bit difficult as a previous owner had damaged the slot that the tab at the bottom of the fan assembly mates with. It is easy to think that the housing is secure but check you cannot pull the bottom of the fan assembly towards the front of the car. It must be retained by the tab and slot (sorry no pics).
Currently in Andy147's garage:
2004 Renault Clio 1.2 Expression
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome