Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Toxic Warning Light - Intermittent

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th February 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Exclamation Toxic Warning Light - Intermittent

I had a fault with my Clio 1.2 16V, where the toxic warning light would come on intermittently. While it was flashing I would lose considerable amount of power from the engine, so much so, that I could not drive the car in 5th gear. Strangely enough this fault occurred when my fuel tank was below half. I found if I immediately filled the tank up (till it was full), as soon as I drove from the petrol station, the light would immediately go off and the power to the vehicle would be restored. I also found the fault would not occur if the vehicle was being driven at 70+ mph, and was most common at 50 mph and below.

I took the car to a local garage (not a registered Renault garage) and they inspected the vehicle. After an Engine Management Diagnosis, they found the car was miss-firing on all cylinders. Due to the situation with the fuel, they firstly went on to investigate the fuel tank and the fuel pump, and found no defects on either. They then decided to renew a coil pack and spark plugs which has, touch wood, cured the problem, and my little Clio is now running back as it should be.

What I don't understand is how this coil pack could have been influenced by the quantity of fuel in the tank. The garage said to me it was most likely coincidence, but I don't believe that, as I carried out this 'filling up' method eight times, and it worked every single time I tried it???

I would really appreciate it if anybody could tell me what possibly causes this fault and why itís directly influenced by the contents of my fuel tank?

Purely the mechanic I spoke to was a bit smug, and thought I was delusional - well I bloody well hope I'm not!

Please help prevent me from going mad!
Currently in capitan's garage:
  5 Lastest Threads by capitan
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Toxic Warning Light - Intermittent Clio MissClioSportS 21 13255 9th February 2007 03:00 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome