Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear & front Discs & pad price differential

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 29th January 2014
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Re: Rear & front Discs & pad price differential

The rear discs incorporate not only the ABS reluctor ring but also the wheel bearing. So the cost of a bare disc is always going to be less than a complete unit.

Transferring the bearing is time consuming and not without the risk of the bearing and ring becoming damaged during the change over process from the old units to the new so whilst you may have had a quote for bare discs the cost of materials could dramatically increase during the work. Some members of the forum have encountered such problems and their recommendation would be to ensure you go for the complete units. Whilst they may be more expensive the labour cost will be less and any warranty is more likely to be better.

It would do no harm to check a Renault dealers prices. A few years back I got genuine rear discs (complete units) for a similar model for less than a local motor factor could supply all the necessary parts - plus I had the added bonus of saving about 50% of the labour costs on fitting.

Beware of some cheap quotes - it may be a ruse to get you in through the door and when they have your brakes dismantled you end up being caught between a rock and a hard place.

In my opinion I suggest you go for having complete units fitted.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
Dancingdad (29th January 2014), Renoir White (30th January 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome