Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane - Engines - Shaking & loss of power in cold weather

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st November 2005 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Megane - Engines - Shaking & loss of power in cold weather

I have a 1998 Renault Megane hatch 1.6 Rte.

This weekend I went for a 150 mile drive & about 20 miles into the drive the car started acting up.

The temperature gauge on the dash showed it was between -3 & 0 degrees Celsius. As the speed approached 70 mph, the car & particularly the gear lever (which was what I noticed) started to shake quite a bit & felt like it lost a lot of power (the shaking did not feel like a wheel balancing issue – it was more vigorous). I had never driven in such cold weather & the car had never done this before. It felt as if the petrol was temporarily stopped or reduced by the fact that power was lost & that depressing the clutch & effectively reducing the fuel flow temporarily fixed the problem.

I put my foot on the clutch, and then took it back off & the car was perfect for a while. It then did it again & I solved the problem by either depressing the clutch or slowing down a little. The car was back to normal immediately after doing this for a few more miles, then started again.

I pulled over at a petrol station to let the outside temp warm up a bit because I assumed it had something to do with the cold.

Once it warmed up outside to 2 degrees +, the car was 100% perfect. It never did this again. I did another long drive on Sunday when it was 3 degrees + outside & the car was again perfect. I took it to 80 mph & again the car was 100% perfect.

I could only attribute this problem to a clogged filter, dirty injector or perhaps fuel & air mixture needing to be retuned.

I would like to know your views or if you have experienced similar issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to larrens For This Useful Post:
punto6 (29th July 2011)
  5 Lastest Threads by larrens
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
meaning of "Electronic Incident Warning... Electronics Dawsonxtreme 4 1464 18th December 2005 10:22 PM
Renault Megane - Engines - Shaking & loss of... Megane marvintheandroid 7 10158 21st November 2005 10:38 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome