Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane CC 2004 - Xenon retrofit possibilities

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 14th February 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
You're right, though that didn't come to light around here until well after these posts were made. Auto-levelling and washers are only required on factory fit HID lamps.

I imagine this is some 'type approval' (or similar) requirement, meaning that it's only necessary if the car is designed to leave the factory with HID lamps. If you choose to make the modification yourself afterwards, then that's perfectly legal.

I reckon the requirement comes from the fact that many drivers don't bother to use the headlight leveller switch. They just leave their lights on the highest setting, even if they have a piano in the boot. Combine that with HID lamps, and you're going to get a lot of dazzled drivers, but as long as you use your headlight leveller switch responsibly, the auto-levelling system is probably unnecessary.

The requirement for the jetwash has me stumped though. As HID lamps run cooler, the lenses are likely to stay cleaner anyway as the crap (technical term there) doesn't get to bake on as quickly.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome