Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna II - Interiors - Climate Illumination - Auto Climate Version

275K views 350 replies 188 participants last post by  rawill 
#1 ·
I wonder if any wise person can help me with another problem!!!!
At night I have no illumination on the climate display and assume there should be. Is this an easy fix and if so can somebody advised as to how.
Many thanks
Reedies.b :cool:

#108 ·
A year and half on from the start of this thread and it is continuing to prove successful!

55k on the clock and my light went out on the display. Has been like that for nearly 4 months now, until i read this today. £5 soldering iron later, and 20 minutes of work and i can now see the display without resorting to turning on the interior light! (Work shifts so drive in the dark mainly).

Fantastic - someone should get an award for this.

#110 ·
Climate back light repair

Instructions for repairing lighting behind climate display

1. Remove ash tray. Ensure card is not in the card reader.
2. Pull out card reader it is only held in place with clips.
3. Pull out bottom of climate display.
4. Remove the 3 wiring plugs from the back of the unit, the top 2 connectors have lever clips pull these across the plugs as far as they will go to release the bottom one has a small catch push this in to release.
5. Now remove the coloured cover from the front, this is done by releasing the clips top and bottom with a knife or small screwdriver.
6. Now remove the inner front cover, again by releasing the clips the 2 large buttons will probably fall out. Be careful with the glass screen as this is quit delicate.
7. Look at the top right hand of the printed circuit board you will see the resistor highlighted in the picture.
8. With a soldering iron re-solder both ends of the resistor, be careful not to leave the iron on for too long, it is also easier if a small amount of solder is applied to the tip of the iron prior to soldering the resistor.
9. Now rebuild the unit, make sure the plastic strip is in place and the glass display is lined up correctly before fitting inner cover, don’t forget to fit the large buttons.
10. Re-fit coloured outer cover and re-fit to car, make sure that the wiring plugs are correctly fitted, Fit the top part of the display into the dash and then push the clips into place at the bottom.
11. Re-fit card reader and ash tray.

Should take about 30 minutes.

#111 ·
Hi,
I just wanted to add my name to the list of satisfied readers of this thread.
The backlight on the climate control of my Laguna Initiale has been intermittent since I bought it (more than a year ago). Finally today I took it apart following the instructions here and, sure enough, re-soldering the 100 ohm resistor has fixed it.
Thanks again to whoever it was who first pinned down the problem and took the time to publish the diagnosis.

Cheers
Andy

G
#114 ·
Waynespill
If you read through this thread you will get all the info you need to repair the control for nothing. 30 minutes and a soldering iron is all it takes. There have been several eBayers offering a set of instructions for varying amounts, and they probably nicked the pictures and info off here anyway.

#122 ·
Just done mine, must have taken me 5 mins tops and that was letting the iron warm up.

The ashtray, cardreader and climate unit all just pull out.

Once i got to the PCB i measured the resistance from the next nearest component and got 101 ohms on the meter, it looked fine, and even the connection from track to resistor was closed circuit and 0 ohms.

I thought why not do it anyway as the solder looked slightly yellow. Touched the tip on the top end and the resistor basically fell off!!!!

It turns out there was little or no solder on the bottom connection of 101. So dabbed a little bit on, nice and tidy, plugged it back in after reassembling and hey presto shes back on!!

Good stuff, cheers guys. Im an electronic engineer but even I would not have bothered to strip it down and find out the fault. Saved me a lot of money there

#123 ·
I've just gotten round to fixing my climate control lighting, and it couldn't have been easier! Thanks to everyone for all the info on this site, you guys rock... And if I can do it then anyone can :p

But :rofl: ...my cup holder now doesn't flip open when you bring it out, and there's no tension in it to keep it horizontal when open. Is this something I've done, i.e broken/knocked off etc, or is it just coincidence? Could it be a spring/band or something similar that needs adjusted?

Still, the night light was more important as we do a lot of driving during darker hours, so thanks again!

#127 ·
Hi I Am New On Here And I Have Faulty Led Display On My Climate Control Unit Could You Please Tell Me If It Can Be Repaired. Also I Have Had A New Ecu And Uch Computer Fitted To My Car As The Original Ones Were Destroyed By A Recovery Firm Do You No Or Does Anyone No How This Can Happen My Local Dealers Couldnt Tell Me Why They Were Not Any Good And Is There Anyway I Could Have Them Tested Off The Car Thanks.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.