So we've had our Clio 1.5 dCi for a while and I must say it has been pretty reliable .. until just before Christmas.
We've had an
error fairly regularly and this has been simple to cure for MOTs with a quick code/MIL reset before driving in! But I bought a new valve back in September, just hadn't got around to changing it. For some reason got it into my (thickish) skull that I would need to remove some pipes and that might mean potentially breaking the metal pipes retaining clips .. so I was waiting to get a couple of new ones .. more on that later.
Then the week before Christmas all sorts of funnies started to happen. The glow plug warning light started flashing along with some others. But the car was starting .. and seemed to drive OK. So I ordered one. In the meantime we carried on using it. Then on 22nd, it died and would not restart. I drove over to where the son was stuck and put the code reader on, but they were the same as before. Nothing new to indicate any other problems. We retried and it started and then stalled after about 10 seconds. Called out the AA and they checked codes saying he thought it was low fuel pressure .. so I'm thinking the worst and looking at a new fuel pump. (Christmas is nearly here I thought .. just when you don't want a £££ breakage!). They towed us back and we left car in side road across from drive. I went over the next day and low and behold ... it started. And stalled after about 20 seconds. Still no more codes .. DF127 was the main one. But it didn't tell me WHAT sensor had the low voltage. And have you looked at a dCi engine? I found 11 without too much hard work!
Anyway Saturday before Christmas, the glow plug relay arrived .. PO can be quick sometimes! Quickly swapped that and burst into life. And didn't stall. Drove car up drive to house and quickly put it in car port. Checked everything we could. In the past stalling when warm is often the crank sensor. So pulled that and cleaned it. Very light dusting in rust dust, but looked ok. (PS which idiot decided that the bolts to hold that in would also hold the wiring loom bracket? When you try and move the loom to get to the bolts you either move them out of line or lean on them making then twice as hard to remove/replace .. ). So car still starting but still same codes.
So while it was temporarily out of use decided to change the
(only taken me about three years!). And low and behold, you don't need new clips! Undid two 10m nuts and one 10mm bolt and gently pushed the old valve out with the aid of my persuasion stick (hammer and steel bar!). Wasn't too bad around the valves so I assume it was the electronic part. The new valve went back with very little hassle. Connected up and started ok. Checked codes: had two. Glow plug circuit and brake switch coalescence(?)! ... worry about latter later. We also put a new air filter in and a new fuel filter as we hadn't changed that since buying the car back in 2009!!! (oops!)
So back to glow pug circuit. Google wasn't a great help as I found a lot of conflicting reasons for the codes. I was pretty sure the new relay was OK so checked wiring, etc. All seemed OK. Then found a very useful web page which suggested testing the glow plugs. No I though this meant connecting them to a battery to watch them heat up but there is another way:
Check the battery voltage: in my case 12.65v.
Connect the positive lead of your meter to the battery terminal and the negative to the glow plug end. Compare voltages: a working glow plug should be the same. On our 3 & 4 were (4 is closest to cam belts, left end of engine). But 2 was 9v and dropped as I checked it, and 1 as under 3.
Next check the resistance with ohm meter. Again 3 and 4 were below 1 but 1 & 2 were much higher.
So I think we could safely assume two glow-plugs had died or were dying.
Two new Beru glow plugs (BN018) and no more glow log circuit issues!! Yay!!
But I still had the brake light problem. In the dark if you looked carefully, when you put the brakes on the rear fog light indicator would flicker .. so both rear light clusters out. Both brake light bulbs were working but showing signs of the glass darkening. Plus I noticed that the face of the contacts that press on the bulb were a bit manky. The o/s wiring connector was also showing some light corrosion. Cleaned up all the contacts and swapped the bulbs over for two spares ones.
When I checked last night: NO error codes (first time since about 2011!)
Persistence pays off .. (oh and around £80 in parts, a few hours work and a lot more grey hairs!) I also pulled off and sprayed every sensor wiring plug I could find with electronics spray .. and left them to dry before putting them back.
So if you car stalls and the AA say low fuel pressure .. don't panic just yet!!