Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Reversing lights/heated rear window out of action

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 16th February 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I think Hondo had a similar problem with the dodgy dealer towbar wiring on his car. Every time he selected reverse with the caravan on, the fuse blew. After that, the car would only start with the clutch held down. My guess is that the neutral position detector switch runs off the reversing light circuit.

I'd go with ST's advice and bang it into the dealer while it's still under warranty. But if you really want to investigate this further, then try the following:
1) Do you by any chance have a towbar fitted? If so, I'd check the towbar wiring before looking anywhere else and consider disconnecting the feed for the reversing lights on the 12S socket (if you have one.) If you don't have a towbar (or there's nothing apparently wrong with it) carry on as follows.
2) Disconnect both reversing lamp clusters, replace the fuse and try reverse. Does the fuse still blow? If not, then it's a fault on one of the clusters. Try reconnecting the clusters but taking the individual bulbs out and see what happens then.
3) If the fuse does still blow, replace it again and try disconnecting the large blue multi-plug behind the passenger side boot lining. If the fuse doesn't blow, then the fault is to the rear of the multiplug - most likely chafed wiring going from the car body into the boot lid.
4) If the fuse does blow, then the fault is forward of the multi-plug. Again, chafed wiring is probably the likely culprit, but it's going to be a pig to trace.

I'm assuming that this is the hatch (as per your avatar.) If it's the tourer, then the reversing lights are in the main clusters, and so the stuff about the boot lid and possibly the multiplug won't apply.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 16th February 2007 at 08:20 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome