Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Interiors - Climate Illumination - Auto Climate Version

View Single Post
post #342 of (permalink) Old 7th February 2014
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Renault Laguna II - Interiors - Climate Illumination - Auto Climate Version

Just finished a full electrical strip down and repair after a blocked sunroof offside drain! The first hint was that the car was sitting on the drive with the indicator lights permanently on! The engine wouldn't start, the dashboard ran through a self test only, no wipers, lights, doors, windows etc. etc. etc. Water had poured down the inside of the drivers windscreen pillar and given the uch and fuse box a thorough wash!

First job was to remove the useless rubber bungs off of the bottom of both sunroof drain pipes and drain the pipes.

Next, remove the fuse box and uch . Strip the fuse box down, spray with switch cleaner, scrub down and clean thoroughly. Not much you can do with the fuse box, I have to say for a Renault part it's pretty bomb proof.

The UCH is a different matter!! This piece is matched to the key, key slot and engine immobiliser. In the words of Tolkien, one computer to rule them all! If you change one you have to change them all.

There were lots of signs of water ingress into the UCH ! The board was (very) carefully cleaned using PCB cleaning solution and then examined for any dull or cracked solder joints. There were at least 6 on the main chip and several corroded legs on other ancillary chips. Application of a very fine soldering iron to just re-melt the solder on the chips seemed to suffice.

Both the board and the housing were left on the radiator overnight to thoroughly dry out before putting them back in the car. The car itself needed completely drying out under the drivers dashboard. The water was running down the wiring bundles and into the plugs. It's worth noting that it is not a good idea to 'pack' something into this area in case the drains block again. All you will do is hold a nice reservoir of water for the next electrical nightmare!

Getting the fusebox and mounted UCH package back in again features a large amount of wriggling, swearing and finger scraping! Finally though the car sprang back into life with no further faults.

As for the climate controller backlight this has never worked in my car until I followed the advice in this thread after my rebuild. Dismantled the controller and resoldered R101 (it's written on the top of the resistor). Now everything works perfectly.

Moral of the story? Don't let your sunroof drains get blocked!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lurch1o For This Useful Post:
timthegas (6th August 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome