Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #469 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by scljong View Post
please see my attached pic of my bonnet! i think it looks the same as urs! so what should i do about preventing the chance of it opening? or would renault replace it with a new one under waranty?
Yes it's one of them. But actually yours looks very tidy.

Check that there is no distortion to the area that houses the lock, the centre bolt, the safety recess and the safety hook.

Make sure that the hook is well positioned to strike the plate before it disappears into its recess.

If there is a plastic striking plate (like a grommet surround to the recess), make sure it is not broken and replace it if it is.

Check the slider (the 'T' shaped part you pull to release the safety hook) and make sure it is not binding or too tight; lightly lubricate both its visible and hidden flat surfaces with something like creeping oil or 'paint' them with grease. If there has been any distortion to the parts that carry it, it can bind enough to stick and stop the hook from becoming fully engaged when in the closed position.

Lightly grease the striking-plate (where the hook strikes it before it disappears into its recess) and the striking surface of the hook itself.

It is most important to make sure the safety hook has not been damaged or deformed and that the locking-plate of the latch (the one that engages and holds the centre-bolt down) can travel its full way without help.

Make sure the bodywork that holds all the parts has not become deformed. Deformities might be too subtle to be seen without careful examination while 'offering-up' the parts to each other without closing. Make sure the safety hook can slide smoothly and click into its recess without resistance.

Make sure all springs are intact, unobstructed and unrestrained.

I personally think that a better way to close the bonnet is to lower it (not drop it) in such a way as
to be able to observe the safety hook entering its recess, and then to smartly press down with the heel of both hands on the bonnet and listen for the tell-tale click of the lock engaging the centre-bolt.

If the cable-release is stiff, it will also need to be greased or replaced if frayed. You should not need to push back the handle after you have used it to open the bonnet... it should return all the way without help.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything but I'm sure someone will point it out if I have.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome