Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Can you weld stainless steel with???

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Welding stainless steels.

To start with you will need to know what grade of stainless it is. As there are various types, such as : 304 or 308 or 309 or 316 or 347. Now the most likely is 304 as it's the cheapest to buy. Now if your good at manual arc you could use this method. If you want to use MIG with gas you would need to use Argon gas along with S/S wire. Then a better idea would be the use of flux cored wire as no gas is used and what wire you have left can be stored.
TIG has been mentioned and is the best method, but the equipment is expensive. This method uses a Tungsten electrode which causes an arc with the weld peice and what is called a filler wire is feed into the weld pool. The gas for this method is Argon. If you were to think of going down this road, I would leave it to a real welder.
For the average DIY you would be best going down the gas welding method. This is a better way in as much as you can use normal Oxygen and Acetylene with a welding torch or Shank as it's called. Then you would need filler wire which most DIY stores keep in stock along with a flux.
I hope this explains your options clearly, but you can always PM me if you need any further information.
Currently in ren25's garage:
Laguna 11 1.8 16v Authentique Auto 5 door Hatch
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome