Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sat Nav problem

Thread: Sat Nav problem
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by garytheanimal View Post
My 52 plate has been sat on the drive for the last week or so after having a gearbox problem fixed, but when i got back in it yesterday the sat nav refused to work, buying it second hand i didn't get any manuals so using the sat nav has been self taught, i put it down yesterday to the weather (yes, i am naive) because its been pretty bad with gale force warnings and all, but today i noticed the satellite icon is constantly red and the 'doughnut' icon next to it is red 99% of the time, anyone any ideas why it would just suddenly stop working? thanks in advance for any help you can give.
P.S. what is TMC?
The Carminat system is based on the VDO MS5000. You can download a manual for that system using the following link.

It's close enough to be helpful.

Regarding your problem it seems like you have lost your GPS aerial input. This could be the GPS receiver (in the glove box), the wiring (unlikely) or the shark fin aerial itself (most likely).

You can check if the system is receiving GPS data by ...

CODE -> 4112

This should show more that 2 satellites.

TMC, by the way, stands for Traffic Message Channel and provides dynamic updates to the navigation based on traffic reports. It's transmitted over the Classic FM radio frequencies via a dedicated FM tuner built into the GPS dash mounted controller. (you don't need to have your radio tuned to Classic!)
If the TMC icon on the display is grey then you need a map CD update to get it to work. If it's red then you have a problem with the receiver. If it's green or shows TMC_INFO in green then it's already working.
You can get TMC enabled disks from Renault for £130 or from ebay for about £50.

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome