Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #471 of (permalink) Old 18th February 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi Kat i also had this happen to me last sunday doing the same speed on the motorway. It was a hell of a shock. People on this forum who have had more experience will prob give you better info than i can, but if i were you i would firstly take photos of all the damage and keep them safe.

I strongly advise you to read as much of this and similar threads as you can. I know there is a lot to read but if you do, you will realise what a big issue this has become. Have you written to BBC Watchdog yet? Please do if you haven't because they want to know how many people this has happened to and the media pen is the strongest of all.

Contact the vosa. The VOSA/VSB is a DVLA type government agency. The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) provides a range of licensing, testing and enforcement services with the aim of improving the roadworthiness standards of vehicles ensuring the compliance of operators and drivers, and supporting the independent Traffic Commissioners.
VSB is its Vehicle Safety Branch.
Unfortunately, this watchdog has no (or very weak) teeth and seem to only bite when the flesh is soft and weak (man-in-the-street TYPE) and not when the skin is tough (like Renault's).

Write to them at and we will all be interested to hear what he says to you.

To contact Renault Customer Support write to have been known to help out "purely as a goodwill gesture" or to "promote brand loyalty". They fixed Brigatti's car but said they did so because he was buying two new cars from them, not because he was likely to become a thorn in their side. Keep us informed please as a few of us are monitoring developments. Tell renault that you realise that there is a underlying fault with their bonnet catches and take it from there. I hope others may also offer you the help i was offered.

As for me, i didn't really get anywhere with them to be honest. I am on dialysis and need the car to get to hospital 3 times a week until my transplant so havent time to hang about waiting on renault. They told me if i wanted to take it further i had to get an insurance assessor and a renault assessor out to see the car at same time, and only if they came to the conclusion that it was a manufacturer fault and not that i left the bonnet open, could i take it forward.

Sorry this is long winded but hope it helps
Currently in j_bo82's garage:
clio 2001 dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome