Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Do we have Multiplex wiring

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 19th February 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Okay, I've had a bit of time to spare and I've done some digging around. I can't find any mention of bypass relays being required by default on all 2000 and onwards cars. A Google for "bypass relays legal" turns up lots of hits, but the "legal" is always in the context of needing a warning light or buzzer on the indicators. That's always been the case, and isn't the matter we're discussing here.

Furthermore, a Google on "multiplex wiring" turns up hits for Peugeots, Citroens, Volvos, and even Range Rovers., but I waded through as far as page 10 of the search results, and saw no mention of Renaults. It's worth noting that PSA group cars (Peugeot/Citroen) are notorious for using multiplex wiring. I think a lot of people have just assumed that "it's a French thing" and that Renaults will be the same. I know I did first time around - that's why I spent 50 quid on the official loom.

If there's one thing I've learned from the caravan world, it's that there's an awful lot of conjecture and assumption that gets passed of as fact. I don't think the Laguna needs bypass relays, and the NTTA accredited towbar fitter doesn't think it needs them either. He's given me a 12 month warranty that includes the wiring, so clearly he's prepared to put his money where his mouth is.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome