Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand espace 3.0Dci gas pedal failure, smoking tires! HELP

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Grand espace 3.0Dci gas pedal failure, smoking tires! HELP

Hi all
I have a 54 plate grand espace 3 ltr and yesterday on my drive the brakes felt extremely stiff!
I popped to a garage to fill up with diesel and I mentioned to the owner that the brakes felt really funny!
The garage owner gets in the car and drives it round to a pump telling me that it feels fine to him and sent me on my way-
Now before I describe what happened next I must add the car has been sitting for over a month but has been regularly checked, had battery charged with a trickle
Charger and has been well maintained whilst being on the drive and not run for a while!
So I drive my car out the garage and notice how increasingly difficult it seemed to drive, it was heavy as though I was towing a caravan or something!
The MPH were hardly increasing despite my foot being all the way down on the pedal!
I come off a round about and the car wouldn't shift from 30 despite me attempting to get it upto 60!!!!
Suddenly the mph reduced considerably from 35 to almost nothing- my foot was still on the gas pedal as I frantically tried to get it to move!
I knew I had to pull up so I did, but the car had virtually stopped itself by them anyway
I get out the car to see smoke from the tires quite heavily!!! Sounds silly but I thought it was going to blow up!
The RAC came out and towed to a garage, they couldn't even jump start my engine!
The car is in the garage now but the battery is absolutely dead and therefor they needed an over night charge before they can even use the diagnostic on it
It's only had one previous owner other than myself
And it was in good condition when I bought it!
The only issue I had was my battery was going flat all the time- and upon having someone look at it I'm told the amp is too low on the battery which is in the car!
It'll only charge to 450 when apparently it requires an 800!
I was advised the car would run ok in the summer with the battery that came in the car but in cold weather I may face a real problem!
This week I intended on replacing the battery but the car obviously had other ideas
The worry of how much the repairs will cost is eminence for me right now!
The cars got extended warranty but the RAC advised me that it depends on what's caused the problems with the car which determines whether or not they will pay out!

I'm waiting on a proper diagnostics but whilst I wait I was looking for some advice please!
Thank you for reading
  5 Lastest Threads by MissNottingham
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Please help. Espace 54 died in flight Engines ours2012 38 1225 4th June 2016 07:50 AM
Brown brake fluid Espace 3.0 54 Brakes/Hubs Mike H025 35 935 18th February 2016 05:53 PM
Is my car eating too much oil? Help Engines funkoval 37 982 24th January 2016 09:43 AM
How long can Renault Espace be left standing... Engines Mike H025 6 400 11th December 2015 08:18 PM
Wrong oil in espace 54 3.0 Engines Dancingdad 8 481 30th August 2015 08:19 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome