Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electronic parking brakes - is this a possible fix?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2014
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,796 Times in 1,375 Posts
Re: Electronic parking brakes - is this a possible fix?

Although I agree that there are many gimmicks added to cars that aren't needed, including auto parking brakes, I gotta admit that it does make life easier.
I would happily live without it but my main gripe is the cost if it fails.
Someone just hasn't thought it through. And Renault could easily make life easier for people with issues.

To start with there is a lack of knowledge about the system.
Renault could make a manual available, even if only via Haynes.
The mechanics at major component level arent complex, certainly less so then other car systems that are normally fixed by competent mechanics.

Then there is the problem of fault finding. Renault have a virtual monopoly. And if my local dealer attitude is normal, an expectation that the main motor box will need changing. So major expense almost guaranteed

But why. Cos Renault won't make spares available. Scrapping a five hundred quid box for a twenty quid cable that will take an hour to change is ridiculous.
In the box is a geared motor, a control board and a few cables and switches.. Make them available. I'd prefer to swap a hundred pound board then a five hundred pound box. And I think many would find it far more acceptable.

Any added gizmo adds to the cars initial cost. They also add to cost of repairs. Okay, but there is no need to inflate those costs through a refusal to address maintenance issues economically.
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome