Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Flash car wash system

View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 28th July 2005
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
As it stands, mine's a contract hire car, so it's not worth sorting anything that I think will slip by the guy who comes to take it away. Based on past experience, apart from the cracked fog light, I don't think there's anything bad enough for him to actually flag it up on the paperwork.
I have bad news for you... the situation has changed in the last couple of years!
In fact, the whole motor industry has changed in the last few years... I have just finished a 19 page guide on the subject, so forgive me if I don't feel like explaining the whole situation on this forum (I'l post a link to the guide when it goes live - waiting for approval by the BVRLA).
But the long and the short of it was that lease and contract hire companies were getting problems... apparently one guy returned his car, or what was left of it in a holdall, Another story is that some guy mixed up cement in the back of his vehicle!
Anyway, the leasing companies got tough, fleet managers got a nasty shock, and so passed all the recharges onto the drivers. Smart fleet managers managed their cars better, they had less penalties, the lease companies made more money from the cars at the end of contract, and passed some of this back to fleet managers in the form of better deals.
And so both the leasing companies and the fleet managers like the new get tough policy.
And I swear that some lease companies have realized they can make a small fortune in re-charges.

Anyway, some contract hire and Leasing companies are still soft on the Fair Wear & Tear Standard, but many more have got really tough over the last 2-3 years.

We are finding that they are flagging things like excessive stone chips and small panel dents, they will even do you for things like stained seats and minor scuffs on wheels.

If you got your car yourself through a dealership, then they are more likely to go easier on you, but if your car is part of a fleet - you should consider having an independant inspection done.

Last year leasing companies charged British companies 120,000,000 in penalty recharges*, with some lease companies charging an average of 600 per car for wear and tear *Source: Fleet News Net FN50 - 2004 -
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome